Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I'll Remember...1988

"Spotlight", written by Madonna, Stephen Bray and Curtis Hudson, was originally recorded during the 1986 True Blue album recording sessions, but not included because it was too similar in composition and structure to "Holiday".  When she decided to make 'You Can Dance', she asked Shep Pettibone to remix "Spotlight" to included it on the album.  John "Jellybean" Benitez, who had recorded the original demo during the True Blue sessions, assisted Pettibone in remixing the song.  Madonna has said that she was inspired by the song "Everybody Is a Star" by Sly and the Family Stone as the theme of the song.

The song was released commercially in Japan on April 25, 1988. "Spotlight" peaked at number 68 on the Oricon weekly singles chart, remaining on the chart for five weeks.  It was also featured in the last of a series of Japanese TV commercials Madonna filmed for electronics company Mitsubishi.


Oh how I wish she would have released this as a single world wide.  It would have probably pushed the 'You Can Dance' album into the top ten and I am sure 'Spotlight' would have fared well on the charts aswell.  They could have used footage from the commercial above and incorporate scenes from the 'Who's That Girl' tour.  What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Spotlight is one of my favorite non-singles. She has a couple of cheese-tatic songs during this era, that I love. Causing a Comostion and White Heat are other the ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love 'Causing a Commotion'! It went to number 2 on the charts and I am sure if it had a video it would have topped the charts. They should have used the cartoon from the opening of the movie 'Who's That Girl' or something. Oh well.

    I also love 'White Heat'. It was such a mature sounding Madonna. Great lyric and I can only imagine what the video would look like. Another top 5 hit for sure!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved "Spotlight" too. I always thought it would've made a stronger close to True Blue than "Love Makes the World Go Round."

    It's funny that you mentioned using the cartoon opening for the video for "Causing a Commotion." I've always thought the same thing. And if the song had a video, I bet that would've given it the push to hit #1.

    ReplyDelete