Thursday, January 5, 2012

Listing the Best-Selling Artists of the Last 20 Years…



Sure, the modern world of pop culture and music is utterly head over heels in love with the likes of Rihanna, Beyonce, and Britney, that it’s easy to forget the amazing accomplishments that were made by real legendary artists before them.

Make your guesses and click below to see who (but more importantly who does NOT) comprises the Top 10 list of the Best Selling Artists from 1991 to 2011 (US) after the jump and sound off below!




1. Garth Brooks (68.5 million)
2. The Beatles (63.3 million)
3. Mariah Carey (53.6 million)
4. Metallica (53.1 million)
5. Celine Dion (51.4 million)
6. George Strait (43.3 million)
7. Eminem (41.1 million)
8. Tim McGraw (40.1 million)
9. Alan Jackson (38.8 million)
10. Pink Floyd (37.2 million)

So what does this list mean?

This list further confirms that Country music, while not a mainstream radio staple, is a goldmine and clearly one of the best selling genres of music both then, and today (i.e. Shania Twain & Taylor Swift).


Love her or hate her, Mariah Carey is that chick and the leading active diva of all her peers (Whitney, Celine, Janet, etc.). Coming in second only to Eminem in terms of cultural relevance, she has the best shot of accumulating more sales and potentially surpassing The Beatles—we all know she’s gunning for it.

For those who will undoubtedly be wondering, “Where’s Madonna?”, surprisingly her albums only sold 27 million albums in the US from the years of 1991-2011.  Still an amazing feat.  Kudos M!

In the next twenty years who do you think will make the 2011-2021 list? Adele? Duh…but who else?!

Sound off!





Sources:
Nielson SoundScan
RIAA

7 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog, it`s great!
    One q, did you get an autograph from M during Toronto Festival?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awee thanks dm!

    ...and NO I did not get an autograph :(
    I would have if my friend would have met up with me earlier. I work literally 5 mins away from the event and my boss even let me off work and walked me over to the line up and stayed with me for a bit. But there were hardly any people there yet and she was arriving around 6pm. So I called my friend who lived a few blocks away and asked if she wanted to join me. She wanted me to go to her place first and then we would walk over together.

    BUT MY GOD she took her sweet time tra la la ing...and we ended up going back around 5pm, which of course there were tons of people there. So I had ended up being in the back.

    When Madonna came out I had to go on my tippy toes and I could only see her beautiful hair and forehead. Thank god for my long arms, as I stretch as high as I could to get the pics I did.

    At the end of it all…I WAS SO PISSED! I could have strangled my friend. I learned a valuable lesson though: Don’t depend on anyone for your own happiness. You need to take control of your own actions to get what you want.

    Anyways…life goes on. Not the end of the world, M is a human just like the rest of us. I should be more excited to see my own mother than someone who probably would not even acknowledge me.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha!!! I have to laugh about your last comment. Thats true ... Im sure, she was thinking, look this madness, I will put only a scribble on their records :-)
    But like you said, if you want something, go for it ... I am sorry you didnt get the sig.
    Did she sign a lot? I wanted to find someone who would love to sell it ... I found someone and the person wants 1000 dollar. :-) and I could get my moms signature for free ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I think this country has funny tastes with music. I notice a country star sells more than a pop and hip hop star, because their is usually one good country music artist that emerges every 20 years. And the fans of country music only buy from that one artist. Tyler swift is good example. In pop and hip hop there are so many artists to choose from, so the sales are spread out to gaga, brit, beyonce, rhi rhi, etc...

    and I always heard rumors Mariah's singles were sold for very cheap.

    And more importanly MJ is not on the list. So I never go by the numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Youthinkyourecute

    You think you're cute...don't you? lol

    ReplyDelete