Tuesday, March 13, 2012

From Little Star to Superstar!


During a reacent interview Average Mag spent a LOT of time talking about her oldest daughter, Lourdes' recent accomplishments. Momdonna gushed:
“She's my background singer. She just came over to the studio that day. Then I said, 'Oh, can you sing this part?' and she agreed to. She has a very good voice. She's quite shy about it and won't admit it.”
Madonna swears her 15-year-old didn't ask for the background job -- or any job for that matter!The Material Mom says:
“Lots of people are knocking on my door to meet her about everything, movies and what-not. But she's not really interested in any of it. She just wants to go to school. She says to me, 'Mum, I just want to be a normal kid. I'm not ready for any of that'. I respect that, and if she ever wants to work with me on any level I welcome it. But otherwise I leave her to her homework and school.”
Wait. Wait. Wait. She's a 15-year-old AMERICAN girl that is NOT chopping at the bit for a chance to be famous??
The Reviews for Lucky Star, er Little Star..I mean...SUPERSTAR:

Ironically, Superstar isn’t one of the William Orbit tracks, but it sure sounds like one. It’s the album’s ‘rock’ track and stands as another prime single candidate. The melody is sublime, the kind of thing long-time Madonna fans have been waiting years for, and released here, it’s like a cleansing burst of pure radiance. Even the slightly shoe-horned in dubstep section can’t detract from the song, it’s that good.
The album’s first electric guitar before Madonna pays her lover a series of compliments. “You’re like Brando on the silver screen,” she says, which any man would like — more than “You’re like Caesar, stepping on to the throne.”

This track feels a bit lightweight amongst the others. There’s a Katy Perry vibe. The “Oh la la you’re my superstar” chorus seems like a incongruous filler with the cheeky cringey teen lyrics: “You’re like Abe Lincoln because you fight for what’s right”. Maybe Lourdes helped her with this one?

“Superstar” Notably this track features the backing vocals of Madonna’s eldest child, Lourdes (credited as Lola Leon), and name checks everyone from Marlon Brando and Michael Jordan to Julius Caesar and Abraham Lincoln. The gist here is: “Ooh la la, you’re my superstar” and “I’m your biggest fan, it’s true.” Armed with yet another kicky dubstep bridge, Madonna also amusingly sings about how the “Superstar” subject of her devotion is “like John Travolta, getting into the groove.” (Get it? She’s referencing herself again — but in a smart, cheeky way.)

Not the first song to see Madonna name check Marlon Brando, this is decent enough mid-album album fare. “Ooh la la, you’re a superstar” goes the idiosyncratic chorus and we bob our head along obligingly. As another bassy wobble reigns in, the album is beginning to feel like a more refined version of Britney’s Femme Fatale. We liked Femme Fatale, a lot.

1 comment:

  1. Gaga has nothing to worry about. I STRONGLY believe this album will flop. Based on these horrible 70s Hippie Pop singles. I didnt think it would get this bad. Like NO edge or soul in any of these tracks.

    ReplyDelete